Turtleduck Press began almost three years ago, when several writers (including yours truly) decided to band together and pool our strengths to start a science fiction and fantasy press. We knew we wanted to operate like a traditional publisher in that everything we published had to be:
- approved by one or more members
- edited by an experienced editor (that would be me — editing is how I make my living)
- formatted and designed to look professional
- advertised on our website and everywhere else we could get the word out
…so we’d be publishing works of quality and also look professional — both good ways to attract (and keep!) readers.
But we also wanted to make decisions on a consensus basis, and have the flexibility to try new things and put out more unusual content than a bigger, more established publisher could. So we’re publishing on Smashwords as well as Amazon, we’re writing in the nooks and crannies of the spec-fic subgenres, we’re experimenting with length and with linked short stories, and so on.
So far we’ve published:
- 6 science fiction and fantasy novels
- 2 speculative fiction anthologies
- 2 books of poetry
- close to 20 short stories and poems (available for free on our website)
Now that we have some experience, a better handle on what we’re doing and how we’re doing it, we’re ready to expand. That’s why we’ve put out this call for submissions. We’re looking for like-minded new members. If that’s you, we’d love to see what you’ve got!
And if you’re a reader, stay tuned for lots more good SF&F stories from Turtleduck Press in the months and years to come…