During last week’s check-in, I talked about how Real Life, in the form of house renovations, was derailing my attempts at ROW80. I had been missing my initial goal of 5 hours a week of writing or editing, and was trying to figure out how to reframe my goals.
This week was about the same on the writing front. I hit 2.75 hours, up slightly from Week 2 and on par with Week 1.
I’m happy with the writing I’m doing, though. This week I finished the last installment of a 5-part serial story (just shy of 10K words) and was quite happy with how it turned out. I edited each installment as I went, but I need to go over the last installment again to see if anything needs to be tweaked. My next plan for this story is to put it all together and see if, with revisions, it can work as a single novelette (the term for a story of this length).
I’ve also started a new short story. This time I’m aiming for flash fiction length (which the market I’m targeting defines as under 1500 words). I suspect the first draft will be longer and then I’ll edit it down. Bonus: part of the story was written at a coffee shop, which I enjoy doing and haven’t done in a while.
More to the point, I’m feeling good about what I’m producing. One of my main goals this year is to work on deepening my writing, to focus harder and dig deeper rather than writing at the surface level, and I think it’s working.
So while my time spent is lower than I’d like it to be, it’s quality time and that’s the point. I’m going to continue to aim for 3 hours.
Another part of Project: Making Space (my name for this year’s package of goals) is making my house into a place that nurtures my spirit. So while the focus this week has been on renovations rather than revisions, I’m still moving towards my goals, just in a different way
This week my accomplishments include:
- choosing flooring (a huge thing for a chronic waffler like me)
- just on the cusp of choosing paint (rather less huge, but still requiring a lot of thought)
- buying some small pieces of furniture that are going to help with organization
- identifying and gathering a lot of junk to get rid of (a project for this week) — so the front areas of the house are looking a lot better
- researching window coverings (had no idea there were so many options…like I said, decorating doesn’t come naturally to me!)
It’s a lot of work now, but it’s finite (er, sort of) and it will pay off in the end, I hope.
Your turn! How are your resolutions and/or ROW80 going?